Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Coaching Afraid

From today's UA press release:
"I think we have gained confidence in Casey (Dick), and we are not afraid to throw the football a little bit more," Nutt said.
Whether that's a Freudian slip or not is debatable. But few will disagree that Houston Dale's fear has, at times in his career, taken ahold and controlled his actions on the sidelines. (I'm sure Freud would say his nailbiting is a dead giveaway.)

The last win this program had against a top 25 team was 788 days ago on September 13th, 2003 against #5 Texas. For anyone who purchased the "Ambush in Austin" DVD or still has it on tape, I would challenge you to go back and watch Houston during the game. You can just see a calm confidence on his face. I would argue that hasn't been there since that bright, sunny afternoon against the Longhorns.

And now, with a bowl game unreachable and a losing season assured, it seems like the pendulum has swung completely to the other side. Earlier tonight on Sports Rap, Chuck Barrett played a short audio clip where Nutt said, "I think you might see us throw five, six, seven times in a row down field on Saturday." It's like he's saying, "Okay...you don't want us to play not to lose? Fine...I'm not afraid anymore. I'll show you I can call seven pass plays in a row!"

Well Houston...I hope you figure out soon that somewhere between audacious and terrified is the target that you're shooting for. And for your sake and for the Razorback fans, I hope it's before it's too late for you here on the Hill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home