Sunday, February 19, 2006

Someone Hit The Switch Again?

Just when I write the Razorback basketball team off they decide to show back up.

I chose to brave the snow and ice and go to the game. I wanted to see Florida, and with this Hog team you just never know, so I thought it would be fun. It was. This team has it in them. As of late they've been more than a bit lazy about letting it out. The crowd was great - snow crowds always are it seems. The recent new feature of the "cable guy" dancing in the student section was very entertaining. I actually sold all of my tickets outside and used one a guy just gave me out of the blue. As usual this year, I went in and sat down about 15 rows up at mid-court.

They didn't play perfectly. There were mental and dumb mistakes -- although not as many as we've seen in other games. Free throw shooting almost did us in when we could've iced the game in regulation.

We blocked out and played strong defense. The center and the power forward position contributed 27 points, 17 rebounds and 4 assists. Remember they basically didn't even make the trip to Ole Miss. Hunter and Thomas played big. Townes had on his rebounding and defensive hard hat. Hill, as always, gave an outstanding effort. 6 blocked shots for the team.

I have to repeat, we blocked out really well, even on free throws. We took the paint today against a good Florida front line. We were plus 5 in turnovers and took 6 more shots than Florida in the second half. Even though we shot only 62% from the foul line, we took 22 more free throws than Florida. We took the ball strong at them and got them in the bonus early in each half. Our field goal percentage wasn't so great, but Nolan taught us that there is more to winning than just a good field goal percentage.

Modica and Brewer did what they are supposed to do as the offensive leaders. Modica, strangely enough, saved the game on defense with his steal near the end of regulation. That was almost a miracle play, as Florida was about to ice the game. Good for him, as it was his failure to block out on the off-side rebound that allowed Florida a put back late in regulation that could have been the game. Modica has a lot of heart.

Brewer finally stepped up and played the second half like the best player in the conference should. This is really the first time I've seen an impressive intensity level and a strong, "putting the game on his shoulders," mentality from him for any duration of time. And not just him, The whole team refused to lose. They were fighting hard. It was good to see Florida say in the press that "they wanted it more than us."

I thought McCurdy added good energy. It was good to see him get 13 minutes. Wouldn't have bothered me to see him get a few more. Ferguson did have 6 turnovers, you know. No one else would have bothered to throw that pass to Hill for the dunk. Hunter's 14 minutes were strong. Jefferson's 4 minutes were probably 4 minutes too many. He wasn't missed.

The big question I continue to debate within myself is this: Does the team just not listen and play the way Stan wants them to play or is the coaching / motivation at fault? I honestly don't know.

I do know that when they choose to show up and play basketball "right" instead of "stupid" they are an NCAA Tournament-quality team. Why they seldom have done that this year I just don't know.

It is a lot of fun when they do.

This bunch could win out or lose out. We have yet to prove this year we can put together back to back performances. Tuesday night against Alabama would be a good time to do that.

1 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

After the Ole Miss loss I was off the bandwagon. Total mediocrity. Then for lack of a better thing to do, with the snow and all, on Sunday I watched the second half of the Florida game and found myself actually being entertained. Who knows? A couple of big must win games coming up.

Nice site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home